September 18, 2011

Mekong Delta

Mekong Ducks
This week, I’ve noticed myself becoming much more familiar with the culture, people, and chaos of Saigon. Although, still slightly fazed by the massive amounts of motorbikes whizzing by at all hours of the day (and no true crosswalks, you just step off the curb with confidence and go!), I feel more at peace with the intense pulse of the city. I have travelled by motorbike, eaten completely unknown food, showered with cockroaches, and even ordered a full meal in Vietnamese! At times, I miss the conveniences and luxuries of home and Union, and, I’ll admit, I caved once and watched Bachelor Pad on Hulu while doing homework, but by and large I am enjoying and delving into Vietnam. 




Sweet Life
This weekend we took a three-day excursion to the Mekong Delta. We explored the unique sprawl of islands, opaque, silt-filled rivers, and thick brush that the delta is made of. We stayed at a picturesque “home-stay” for two nights. The house was rugged and gorgeous—hammocks on the riverside, anyone? The most memorable excursion of the weekend included a three-hour bike ride through dirt paths, rice fields and small villages. I almost crashed trying to take some pictures because the sights--the lush palms, blue skies, puppies and chickens--were very distracting! 
Later that night one of the residents of the homestay asked us to help him prepare the snake for dinner! After a few other students actually killed the snakes he drained some of the blood into a pitcher of “rice wine” and we all took a shot of the mixture! I’m glad to say that I’ve done it but I don’t think it will become a regular cocktail of mine.
On the Mekong Delta
Mekong Delta shacks
            Within the two weeks that I have been here I have found my favorite breakfast place, coffee shop, streets and vendors. I’ve learned the names of waiters, waitresses, and receptionists. However, the most difficult thing to leave behind will be Hoang Anh and the rest of the buddies. We have gone out to movies, dinner, excursions and rode motorbikes around. Along the way we’ve broken through the language barriers and fostered true friendships. I’m very excited for our upcoming ten-day tour of the country and subsequent relocation in Hanoi, but it will be difficult to leave behind all of our new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment